Residential & Commercial
Chartered Surveyors

' Full Building Surveys (Level 3) & Homebuyer Reports '

Surveys Explained

What type of
property survey
do I need?


RICS Guide
Choosing between surveys

Homebuyers Report

Why do I need a Property Surveyor?

Buying a property will be one of the largest financial commitments you will ever make and if you want a good understanding of the condition and value of the property, then you should seriously consider having a Building Survey or a RICS Homebuyer Survey and Valuation Report carried out by a surveyor.

Buildings are made up of varied components which at first glance to the untrained eye may look structurally sound but could conceal defects. To avoid any nasty surprises it is best to have a better knowledge of the properties condition.

Home owners may undertake their own alterations, whether it's an extension or some internal alteration, without being aware of the structural implications. This could result in you having to incur additional cost to put things right on top of your purchase expenses. A survey carried out by a qualified Chartered Surveyor will provide you with the advice you need to make an informed decision about the value of your prospective new property.

Residential Surveys Explained

A mortgage valuation is NOT a survey. It is normally carried out by a surveyor appointed by the lender to confirm the property represent reasonable security against the money they are lending. A Building Survey or RICS Homebuyer & Valuation Report will tell you about the condition and structure of a building. This is of paramount importance when you are spending a large sum of money.

What type of Property Survey do I need?

We recommend a Full Building Survey (Level 3) (formerly known as a Full Structural Survey) for properties older than 40-50 years old, over 120m2 and/or that have had modifications such as walls knocked down, extensions, loft conversions etc. or properties where you intend to make structural alterations. The RICS Homebuyer Report and Valuation Report is ideal for conventional residential properties that appear to be in reasonable condition and as a guide are less than 30 years old.

Which Survey Is Best for Me & Work Covered   Homebuyer
Level 2
  Full Building
Level 3
Property Older than 40-50 years Old  
Property has been modified (i.e. extension or loft conversion)  
Property larger than 120m2 internally  
Planned renovation works (i.e. extensions, wall removals loft conversion)  
Listed Buildings or unusual Construction  
Report Customised to Property and Clients Needs  
Standardised Report Format    
General condition of the property and assessing its major and minor faults & their Implications
Identify Major Faults that need Repairing
Potential Repairs and future repairs identified  
Damp in the walls and woodwork, and any woodworm also
condition of damp-proofing, insulation and drainage (Drainage not tested)
Estimated cost for rebuilding. Used for building insurance purposes
Recommendations for any further surveys and investigations that may need to be performed on specialist areas before the contracts should be exchanged
valuation, based on the surveyor's expertise and experience, of the property on the open market  
Information about the location of the property
Technical information about how the property construction & it's Fabric  
Valuation on Request  

Download Sample Homebuyer Survey

All Building surveys are Customised so we do not provide samples of these.

Commercial Surveys Explained

If you are buying the Freehold of commercial premises such as a shop office Pub then you would need a Full Building Survey (Level 3). If you are taking an FRI Lease (Full Repairing and Insuring) then you would need a Full Building Survey (Level 3) as you would be responsible for retuning the property in a good state of repair at the end of the lease. It is paramount therefore to know what is wrong with the building before you commit to any lease. The Commercial Building Survey will look at all elements of the building, advice on the condition, and repairs required, and the problems that will arise if not carried out. No services will be tested, though comment will be made as to their condition.

If the lease you are signing is a "No Better No Worst" Lease then you have to return the building at the end of the lease in the same condition you rented it in. In this case you need a "Schedule of Condition Survey". This is a report together with photos that determine the current condition of the property that is attached to the lease so it is clear what you rented at the start of the lease.

Commercial Landlords

Should provide the incoming tenant with the Health and Safety File for the building. The landlord should also have a copy of the Asbestos Survey. (Previously known as a Type 1 survey, now renamed a Management Survey.)

Our Services

  • Valuations – Staircasing, Shared Ownership, Re-Sale
  • Homebuyer Reports
  • Full Building Surveys (Level 3)
  • Commercial Building Surveys
  • Probate valuations
  • Matrimonial Valuations
  • Lease Extensions

Client reviews

"I found 'Mirus' Surveyor's communication and survey, very thorough and prompt. Within '2' days of request I received a detailed report that made me look into the property purchase at another angle. If I require another survey I would definitely not hesitate to use them again. Very professional and organised, and value for money." Mike Dural
RICS Registered Surveyors
The Property Ombudsman